Exit The King
Written by Eugène Ionesco | Translated by Donald Watson | Directed by Dmitry Troyanovsky**
September 13 – October 8, 2017 | The Jackie Liebergott Black Box Theatre, in the Emerson Paramount Center
Run Time: 90 minutes with no intermission
559 Washington Street, Boston, MA 02111 (Please note: when using GPS, you must include the zip code to go to the correct address) | Venue information
A hilarious and poignant comedy about a megalomaniacal ruler, King Berenger, whose incompetence has left his country in near ruin. Despite the efforts of his two queens and the other members of the court to convince the King he has only 90 minutes left to live, the 400-year-old King refuses to relinquish any control.
Susan Sarandon, who starred as Queen Marguerite in a 2009 production in New York opposite Geoffrey Rush, posed the following question for audiences in an LA Times interview: “What’s the point of being here unless you can be a part of something greater, of something outside yourself, whether it’s children, a mate or a cause that you believe in?” We invite you to contemplate this and more during our take on this rarely-performed play!
- Rachel Belleman – Juliette
- Jesse Hinson* – Queen Marie
- Gunnar Manchester – The Guard
- Sarah Newhouse* – Queen Marguerite
- Richard Snee* – Berenger the First
- Dayenne Walters – The Doctor
- Set Designer – Cameron Anderson***
- Lighting Designer – Dan Jentzen
- Costume Designer – Olivera Gajic***
- Sound Designer – Arshan Gailus***
- Props Master – Abigail Shenker
- Stage Manager – Rafi Levavy*
- Production Manager – Deb Sullivan
*Member of Actors’ Equity Association, the union of professional Actors and Stage Managers in the United States
**Member of the Society of Stage Directors & Choreographers, Inc., an independent national labor union
*** Member of United Scenic Artists Local 829
Exit the King is presented by special arrangement with SAMUEL FRENCH, INC.